A+
A

Médiathèques de la Communauté Urbaine d'Alençon

Identification OPAC
Ajouter au panier
Bookmark and Share

Lieu emblématique du coeur culturel alençonnais, l'ancienne église des Jésuites est ouverte aux Alençonnais, aux amateurs éclairés, aux curieux et autres lecteurs... Ce monument au destin exceptionnel abrite aujourd'hui un patrimoine écrit unique en Basse-Normandie.

Voir la vidéo

Bookmark and Share

Lieu emblématique du coeur culturel alençonnais, l'ancienne église des Jésuites est ouverte aux Alençonnais, aux amateurs éclairés, aux curieux et autres lecteurs... Ce monument au destin exceptionnel abrite aujourd'hui un patrimoine écrit unique en Basse-Normandie.

Voir la vidéo

Historique français

egliseLa médiathèque de la Communauté Urbaine d'Alençon conserve un patrimoine écrit riche de 57 000 documents dont 728 manuscrits (137 médiévaux parmi lesquels un évangéliaire du IXe siècle) et 26 incunables.

Les livres ont été confisqués pendant la Révolution française, dans le district d'Alençon dès 1792 (au monastère de la Visitation, au couvent des Capucins, à l'église Notre-Dame, au collège des Jésuites, et à la chartreuse du Val-Dieu dans le Perche), puis sur l'ensemble du département de l'Orne à partir de 1798 (abbayes de Saint-Evroult d'Ouche, Notre-Dame-de-La-Trappe, de Saint-Martin de Sées, de Notre-Dame de Silly, Saint-Vigor de Cerisy, couvent des dominicains d'Argentan), et déposés dans l'ancienne Eglise des Jésuites, construite à la fin du 17e siècle. A cette même époque, l'architecte Jean-Baptiste Delarue, aménage l'intérieur de l'édifice en deux salles et adapte à l'étage les remarquables boiseries de chêne du 18e siècle et quatre colonnes de marbre provenant de la chartreuse du Val-Dieu.

Administrativement, la bibliothèque municipale d'Alençon est créée en 1803.

Au cours du 19e siècle, elle double ses collection grâce aux dons de l'Etat ou de particuliers, des produits de la vente d'ouvrages dépareillés et à l'octroi d'un budget propre. Les accroissements sont alors constitués de titres prestigieux, tels que la Description de l'Égypte (1809-1828), la Relation du voyage à la recherche de La Pérouse de l'Alençonnais Jacques-Julien Houtou de La Billardière (1799), la Biographie universelle de Michaud (1811 1828), ou encore les récits des Voyages pittoresques en France du baron Taylor (1820-1878).

Au début du 20e siècle, la bibliothèque s'enrichit de deux legs importants : celui du comte de Liesville, fondateur avec Jules Cousin du musée Carnavalet, riche de 4 000 livres et brochures ; et celui de l'éminent Léon de La Sicotière (1812-1895), avocat et sénateur de l'Orne, riche de 3000 livres et manuscrits.

En 1905, la loi de séparation de l'Église et de l'État oblige le grand séminaire de Sées à verser près de 3 000 volumes à la ville d'Alençon, dont quelques précieux manuscrits médiévaux.

Trois dons plus récents sont à signaler : l'œuvre des Godard, graveurs alençonnais des 18e et 19e siècles ; les précieux manuscrits d'Adhémard Leclère, résident de France du Cambodge à la fin du 19e siècle ; et la collection de livres et de revues sur le jeu d'échec de Raymond Lhoste, arbitre international de la Fédération française
d'Echecs.

Aujourd'hui, la bibliothèque continue d'enrichir son fonds avec les éditions publiées par les célèbres Malassis, éditeurs-imprimeurs alençonnais de premier plan. L'édition originale avant censure, les Fleurs du mal de Charles Baudelaire, publiée en 1857 par Auguste Poulet-Malassis, constitue le fleuron de cette collection.

Bibliographie.pdf

Historique pour les enfants

Petit historique pour les enfants

 historique enfants 1

 

historique enfants 2

 

Mémo patrimoine.pdf

Tour d'horizon des formes du livre.pdf

Jeux.pdf

English history

The Library of Alençon

A 17th century Building,
18th century Bookshelves,
Rare and Precious Books.

The Building and Wood Work

eglise anglaisIn 1679, Elisabeth d'Orléans, Duchess of Guise, laid the foundation stone of the Jesuit college of Alençon . The building-works were to last over 20 years but the result was astounding. The high timber framework « à l'impériale », lends its graceful and slender curves to the slate roof. It is crowned with an elegant hexagonal campanile used as a gazing post.
The books confiscated during the French Revolution had been housed in this building as a library for the Ecole Centrale since 1799.
The same year, the architect Jean-Baptiste Delarue had wide windows installed and a second floor built half way up. The ground floor was first dedicated to artistic shows later on to become a museum. The upper floor, at first an art classroom was eventually turned into a library. Delarue had the remarkable 18th century panelling of carved oak from the library of the nearby Val-Dieu Carthusian Monastery (Perche) transferred and set up inside the chapel, together with four marble columns. The 24 original bookcases, otherwise very pure and sober in design, are further adorned at the top with 18 vignettes celebrating the illustrious from Alençon throughout the ages. This exceptional piece of woodwork and craftsmanship is since 1982 part of National Heritage.
The public library of Alençon was officially founded by a governmental order in 1803 which entrusted the town
with the care of conserving the collections.
In the early 1980s, after the lycée Alain (state high-school) had been transferred, the four-sided building encompassing the Cour Carrée de la Dentelle was renovated. It now accommodates the Museum of Fine Arts and 3 floors of a public library giving access to the prestigious church improperly known as the « chapel », a superb shrine for the rare early collections.

Origin of the Collection

The library now holds 40,000 volumes including 717 manuscripts (among which 125 medieval ones), 25 incunabula (books printed before 1500) and 40,000 archival documents (printed between 1500 and 1950) that represent a most unique holding in the region of Basse-Normandie.
The seizure of books started as early as 1792 in the Alençon district : they were taken from the Monastery of the Visitation, the Convent of the Capucine Friars, the College of Jesuits and Notre Dame Church. Soon after, both the library of the Val-Dieu Carthusian Monastery and that of the Ecole Centrale were merged to form the initial collection of around 10,000 volumes in 1799.
Later, a librarian, Louis Dubois, was commissioned by the Ministry of the Interior to provide books for the Ecole
Centrale. He removed them from all over the area : the Abbeys of Saint-Martin de Sées, Saint-Evroult d'Ouche,
Notre-Dame de la Trappe, Notre-Dame de Silly, Saint-Vigor de Cerisy, the Dominican Friars of Argentan were thus plundered.

The Manuscripts and Incunabula

cpn6The most prestigious pieces are of course the mediaeval manuscripts. Most of them come from Saint-Evroult Abbey which boasted a very fine library and a scriptorium (founded in 1050 to teach priests and train copyists). Carrying on the tradition begun by its first two abbots, Orderic Vital (1075-1143), the author of the famous Historia ecclesiastica and a great copyist himself, continued to develop the scriptorium. Its influence spread all over the area, reaching Saint-Pierre of Chartres at the end of the 11th century.
Among the 205 manuscripts from Saint-Evroult filed by Anselme Le Michel in 1628, 79 can be found in the library. Among these were a 9th century Breton Gospel book and 17 manuscripts dating back to the golden age of the scriptorium. Their main characteristics are « a fine script with titles in rustic capital letters enhanced with colour ; the first letters are illuminated and adorned with bright shades of red orange, light green and royal blue».
All the other manuscripts come from Saint-Martin de Sées. Their consistency and their similarities with those
of Saint-Evroult enable us to think that this abbey used to have a scriptorium too.
The main bulk consists in the sacred texts, the commentaries written by the Fathers of the Church, treatises and religious writings. This collection, which is mainly about the history of the area and of its abbeys, is completed by charters, ledgers and inventories.
The 25 incunabula are worth mentioning since some of them are very rare. These include The City of God, by saint Augustin, printed in Abbeville, in 1486 by Jean Dupré and Pierre Gérard; and the Bible of Nuremberg, printed in this very town in 1493 by A. Coburger.
Just as beautiful is the Missale Cenomanense, printed in Rouen at Guillaume Le Talleur's in 1489. However, the most precious items in this collection are The Garden of Health and a treatise by Roman historians entitled Lucan, Suetoine et Salustre en françoys, both printed in Paris by Antoine Vérard in 1500.

Precious Books

The library holds books from the 16th, the 17thand the 18th centuries which are good examples of the learned and sophisticated writing of the times. Some of these are protected by beautifully embossed leather bindings and are the work of the great Renaissance printers such as Estienne, Plantin and Junte. Others were crafted
by provincial publishers such as the strange book by Jehan Goevrot, the Sommaire et entretenement de vie très
singulier de toute médecine et cirurgie [...]. This was first produced on the printing press of Simon Dubois in Alençon in 1530.
As most of the books came from abbeys, religious works are numerous and the number of Bibles, commentaries, controversial essays, sermons, pious books, books of prayers, often betray the theological questions of their time and shed an interesting light on the life of the Church within the society.
However, the philosophy of the Age of Enlightenment, art and science are also represented, including some of the most famous books of the 18th century, namely Dictionnaire raisonné universel d'histoire naturelle by Valmont de Bomare (1776), Monumens de la monarchie française by Montfaucon (1733), the Encyclopédie méthodique (1782-1792), the Encyclopédie by Diderot and d'Alembert (1776), and so forth.
At this stage it may be relevant to single out the Val-Dieu library (3,510 volumes) whose monks were particularly open about the events of their period. Subjects like art, history,literature and science are more
numerous and bear evidence -if needs be- of the supremacy of the Abbey at the outbreak of the Revolution.

The 19th Century

egypte anglaisDuring the 19th century, the library doubled its collections owing to state subscriptions, gifts from individual benefactors, the sale of odd or unpaired volumes as well as the granting of a budget from 1840 onwards. The new books were often prestigious ones such as Description de l'Egypte (1809-1828), printed after the reports made by the scientists who went to Egypt with Bonaparte. The original piece of furniture especially designed in 1822 to accomodate and display the out-of-norms, large-sized volumes of the Description can be seen at the farthest end of the Chapel. And also Relation du voyage à la recherche de La Pérouse, by Jacques-Julien Houtou de la Billardière, from Alençon (1799), Biographie universelle, by Michaud (1811-1828), Grand dictionnaire universel du XIXè siècle by Pierre Larousse (1866-1878) and travel books as Voyages pittoresques en France by baron Taylor (1820-1878). Also, a very special oddity published in 1900 La tour de trois cents mètres by Gustave Eiffel, which copy bears a dedication by the author himself.

The 20th Century

At the turn of the 20th century, the library received two substantial donations.
The first one (4,000 volumes and leaflets) came from the library of the count of Liesville (1836-1885), founding
member with Jules Cousin of the Carnavalet Museum in Paris. It is above all a private collection of curios testifying to the scholar's eclectic tastes in the fields of science (bee keeping, fish breeding, wine growing ...), history and art (1,500 sales catalogues of ancient books and works of art). The highlight of this collection is the ten volumes of the Danse Macabre and of the Bibliothèque Bleue (18th c) printed in Troyes. Among other unusual items are 450 original letters from literary or artistic figures, 19th century caricature albums as well
as 7,000 pages of very rare free mason manuscripts.
Few years later, the library was given the collection of the honourable Léon de La Sicotière (1812-1895), a lawyer and senator, a member of several scholarly associations and the author of the celebrated Département de l'Orne archéologique et pittoresque (1845). He gathered and collected 3,000 volumes about Normandy, as well as a number of scrap-books, diaries, cuttings and records dating back to the French Revolution.
Also, in 1905, The Seminary of Sées had to give about 3,000 books to the city of Alençon, according to the new laws separating the Church from the State.
Three other donations must be mentioned. First, the bequest of the engravings by the Godard family (Alençon, 18th and 19th c), consisting of 19 books of wood and copper plate engravings : these vignettes embody a catalogue of the artists' work. Also the legacy of Adhémard Leclère (Governor of Cambodia under the French Protectorate at the turn of the 19th century), which cast an interesting, ethnological light over khmer civilization of the time. Both donations also concern the Museum of Fine Arts that was bestowed some drawings and valuable items of craftsmanship.
Lastly, in 1993, 2500 chess-related documents, a lifetime collection by Raymond Lhoste, international chess
referee, were given by his widow to the city of Alençon. This collection is one of the foremost on the subject in France, both by its bulk and quality.

The 21st Century

Today, the library continues to acquire rare works such as the books published by Auguste Poulet -Malassis (Alençon, 19th c). Also, the recently purchased original publication of Les Fleurs du Mal by Baudelaire in 1857 (before it was censured) is the latest prominent item among the library's treasures.
The complete restoration of the church of the Jesuits, managed by the city of Alençon with the help of state funds in 2003-2004, now allows this fragile heritage to be protected by suitable air conditioning and dimmed light exposure. It also allows to open a large study room on the ground floor of the church.
Year and year out, thematic exhibitions enable the public to become acquainted with the exceptional value of the collections of the library of Alençon.

Return upward the pge

Bibliography.pdf

Deutsche Geschichte

Die Stadtbibliothek von Alençon

Ein Gebäude aus dem 17. Jahrhundert,
Holztäfelungen aus dem 18. Jahrhundert,
ein bemerkenswertes Kulturgut.

Das Gebäude und die Täfelungen

eglise allemand1679 legt Elisabeth d'Orléans, Herzogin von Guise, den Grundstein zu der Kirche des Jesuitenkollegs. Die Bauarbeiten erstrecken sich űber mehr als 20 Jahre, aber das Gebäude verdient Beachtung. Das hohe Gebälk verleiht dem ausgebauchten Schieferdach, das in einen schlanken Turm űbergeht, eine anmutige Silhouette. (die Kunsthistoriker nennen diese Dachform « toit à l'impériale »). Das Gebälk ist von einem achtseitigen Glockenturm gekrönt, der mehrmals als Wachtturm benutzt wurde.
Nach der Vertreibung der Jesuiten (1764) wurde die Kirche säkularisiert. Ab 1799 wurden die während der französischen Revolution beschlagnahmten Bűcher in dem ehemaligen Gotteshaus untergebracht, das die Bibliothek der Ecole centrale de l'Orne aufnahm.
Im selben Jahre wurde das Gebäude von dem Architekten Jean Baptiste Delarue umgestaltet. Auf halber Höhe teilte er das Schiff in zwei Teile : der untere Teil wurde erst den öffentlichen Prűfungen der Ecole centrale, dann einem Museum fűr Bildhauerkunst gewidmet ; der obere Teil diente erst als Zeichensaal, dann als Bibliothek. Um diesen Saal zu erhellen, wurden breite Fenster in das Dach eingebaut. Es gelang Delarue, die bemerkenswerten Eichenholztäfelungen aus dem 18.Jh. und die vier Marmorsäulen, die aus der Kartäuserabtei Val-Dieu (Perche) stammen, dem Innenraum anzupassen. Die 24 schlicht gearbeiteten Bűcherschränke wurden durch ein reich verziertes Holzgesims mit 18 Kartuschen ergänzt, auf denen die Namen einiger markanter Persönlichkeiten zu lesen sind. Wegen seines Seltenheitswertes steht dieses Holzwerk seit 1982 unter Denkmalschutz.1803 wurde die Bibliothek von Alençon durch einen Regierungserlaβ gegrűndet, der die Stadt mit dem Schutz und der Konservierung der Sammlungen betraute.
Um das Jahr 1980, nach der Umsiedlung des Alain-Gymnasiums, wurden die Gebäude, die den Cour carrée de la dentelle umrahmen, renoviert und neu eingerichtet. Heute nehmen sie das Museum fűr Schöne Kűnste und Spitzen und eine Leihbűcherei auf. Das Gebäude, das der Leihbűcherei vorbehalten ist, besteht aus drei Stockwerken und schlieβt sich an die Kirche an, die manche Leute zu Unrecht « Kapelle » nennen. Die Kirche bildet einen wunderschönen Rahmen fűr dieses auβergewöhnliche Kunsterbe.

Die Herkunft der Sammlungen

Heute bewahrt die Bibliothek 717 Manuskripte auf, darunter 125 aus dem Mittelalter. 25 Inkunabeln (= vor 1500 gedruckte Bűcher) und etwa 57 000 zwischen 1500 und 1950 gedruckte alte Bűcher bilden ein Kulturgut, das in der Basse-Normandie nicht seinesgleichen hat. Schon ab 1792 beschlagnahmten die Revolutionäre in dem Distrikt von Alençon die Werke, die in dem Heimsuchungskloster, in dem Jesuitenkolleg, in dem Kapuzinerkloster und in der Kartäuserabtei untergebracht waren. Die Zusammenstellung der Sammlungen aus dem Jesuitenkolleg und aus der Kartäuserabtei Val Dieu bildete einen Anfangsbestand, der bereits fast 10 000 Bände betrug.
Der Fundus wurde sehr schnell um eine Vielzahl von Werken reicher. Der Bibliothekar der Ecole centrale Louis Dubois bekam nämlich vom Innenministerium den Auftrag, Bűcher und alte Dokumente aus dem ganzen Departement zu sammeln : aus den Abteien Saint-Martin de Sées, Saint-Evroult d'Ouche, Notre-Dame de la Trappe, Notre-Dame de Silly, Saint-Vigor de Cerisy und aus dem Dominikanerkloster zu Argentan.

Die Manuskripte und Inkunabeln

cpn7Die Manuskripte aus dem Mittelalter, auβergewöhnliche Kunstwerke, stammen zum Teil aus der Abtei Saint-Evroult, die schon bei ihrer Grűndung im Jahre 1050 eine Bibliothek und ein Scriptorium (Schreiberschule) besaβ. So hatte die Abtei die Möglichkeit, den Mönchen Unterricht zu erteilen und neue Kopisten auszubilden.
Im Geist der ersten Mönche entwickelte Orderic Vital (1075-1143), Autor einer berűhmten Historica ecclesiastica und auch talentvoller Kopist, die Tätigkeit des Scriptoriums, dessen Einfluβ sich Ende des 11. Jhs. űber die umliegenden Gebiete und sogar bis Saint-Pierre de Chartres erstreckte.
Die Bibliothek besitzt 79 von den 205 Manuskripten, die von Anselme Le Michel 1628 in Saint-Evroult inventarisiert wurden, darunter ein bretonisches Evangeliar aus dem 9. Jh. und 17 Manuskripte, die auf die Glanzzeit des Scriptoriums zurűckgehen und sich durch eine feine Schrift, Titel in farbigen Kapitälchen und illuminierte Initialen in Rot= Orange= Hellgrűn= und Azurblautönen auszeichnen.
Ein anderer Teil der Manuskripte stammt aus der Abtei Saint-Martin zu Sées. Die besondere Einheitlichkeit dieser Manuskripte läβt vermuten, daβ sowohl dort wie in Saint-Evroult ein Scriptorium vorhanden war.
Der gröβte Fundus besteht aus heiligen Texten, von den Kirchenvätern verfaβten Auslegungen und religiösen Abhandlungen oder Sammelwerken. Stiftungsurkunden, Kontobűcher und Inventare ergänzen diese Sammlung, die sich ganz besonders auf die Geschichte der benachbarten Abteien bezieht.
Die Bibliothek besitzt auch zwei seltene Inkunabeln : Augustinus' berűhmtes Werk De civitate Dei , von Jean Dupré und Pierre Gérard 1486 in Abbeville, und Die Nűrnberger Bibel , von Coburger 1493 gedruckt.
Bemerkenswert sind auβerdem das schöne Missale Cenomanense, von Guillaume Le Talleur 1489 in Rouen gedruckt, sowie der Garten der Gesundheit und die gesammelten Werke von drei lateinischen Historikern Lucan, Suetoine et Salustre en francoys. Die letzten zwei Inkunabeln wurden von Antoine Vérard 1500 in Paris gedruckt.

Kostbare Bűcher

Vom 16. bis zum 18.Jh. besteht der Fundus wesentlich aus Bűchern, die von den Gedanken der damaligen Gelehrten Kunde geben. In dieser Sammlung sind die groβen Buchdrucker der Renaissance vertreten : Estienne,
Plantin, oder Junte. Man findet auch Werke von Provinzbuchdruckern wie Le sommaire et entretenement de vie très singulier de toute médecine et cirurgie, ein kurioses Buch von Jehan Goevrot, dessen Erstausgabe von dem Alençonner Buchdrucker Simon Dubois herausgegeben wurde. Fast alle Bände sind sehr schön gebunden und durch geprägtes Leder geschűtzt.
Die Bibliothek enthält viele religiöse Bűcher : Bibeln, Auslegungen, Kontroversen, Predigten und Andachtsbűcher. Diese Werke spiegeln die Fragen wider, die die Menschen von damals beschäftigten, und werfen ein interessantes Licht auf das damalige religiöse Leben. Genauso bemerkenswert sind die Werke,
die fűr die Philosophie der Aufklärung oder fűr die Wissenschaft und die Kunst des 18.Jhs.bezeichnend sind, wie z.B. Monumens de la monarchie française von dom Bernard de Montfaucon (1733), Dictionnaire raisonné universel d'histoire naturelle von Valmont de Bomare (1776), Encyclopédie von Diderot und d'Alembert (1776), Encyclopédie méthodique (1782-1792), usw. Die Bibliothek der Abtei Val Dieu besaβ 3500 Bände űber Kunst,
Geschichte, Literatur oder Wissenschaft.
Das ist ein sprechender Beweis dafűr, daβ die Kartäuser vielseitige, weltoffene Menschen waren, und das kurz vor der Revolution. Die Bibliothek der Jesuiten war reich an Reisebeschreibungen, Grammatiken oder Sprach- und Erziehungsbűchern.

DAs 19. Jahrhundert

Vue allemandIm Laufe des 19.Jhs. konnte die Bibliothek dank groβzűgigen Schenkungen vom Staat oder von Privatpersonen, dem Verkauf von zu einer unvollständigen Sammlung gehörigen Bänden oder der Zubilligung eines eigenen Budgets ihren Bestand verdoppeln. Die neuen Bűcher tragen sehr bekannte Titel, z.B. Description de l'Egypte
(1809-1828). Dieses Werk enthält die Berichte der Wissenschaftler, die Bonaparte nach Ägypten begleiteten. 1822 wurde das Möbelstűck, das sich ganz hinten in der Kirche befindet, eigens dafűr gezimmert : es enthält die
Textbűcher und macht das Entfalten der ungewöhnlich groβen Kupferstiche möglich.
Bemerkenswert sind auch die Werke Relation du voyage à la recherche de La Pérouse von dem Alençonner Jacques Julien Houtou de La Billardière (1799), Biographie universelle von Michaud (1811-1828), Grand dictionnaire universel du 19e siècle von Pierre Larousse und Voyages pittoresques en France von Graf Taylor (1820-1878). Noch dazu eine Rarität, ein Dedikationsexemplar von La tour de trois cents mètres von Gustave Eiffel, das 1900 gedruckt wurde.

Das 20. Jahrhundert

Zu Beginn des 20. Jhs . bekam die Bibliothek zwei wertvolle Sammlungen geschenkt. Zuerst erbte sie von Graf de Liesville (1836-1885), der zusammen mit Jules Cousin das Museum Carnavalet in Paris grűndete, 4000 Bűcher und Broschűren. Dieses Erbe ist vor allem eine Sammlung von Raritäten, die fűr die Vielseitigkeit dieses Gelehrten zeugt : er interessierte sich nämlich fűr Wissenschaft (Bienen=und Fischzucht, Weinbau), Geschichte
und Kunst (1500 Verkaufskataloge von alten=und Kunstbűchern). Die bekanntesten Titel dieser Sammlung sind Danse macabre und Bibliothèque bleue Beide Bűcher wurden in Troyes gedruckt (18.Jh.). Liesville hatte auch 450 handgeschriebene Briefe von Persönlichkeiten aus der Literatur oder der Kunst, sowie Karikaturenalben aus dem 19.Jahrhundert und 7000 Seiten aus seltenen freimaurerischen Manuskripten gesammelt. Das alles űberlieβ er natűrlich der Bibliothek.
Später erbte diese die Sammlung von Léon de la Sicotière (1812-1895), erst Rechtsanwalt, dann Senator und Autor von Die archäologische und pittoreske Orne (1845) Während seines Lebens sammelte er 3000 Bände űber die Normandie, sowie Manuskripte, Zeitungen und Aktenhefte, die sich fast alle auf die französische Revolution beziehen.
Im Jahre 1905 tritt das Gesetz, das Kirche und Staat trennt, in Kraft und das Priesterseminar zu Sées muβ der Bibliothek von Alençon etwa 3000 Bände űbergeben, darunter einige kostbare Manuskripte aus dem Mittelalter.
Drei spätere Schenkungen műssen jetzt erwähnt werden : die Bibliothek bekam zuerst 19 Bände mit zahlreichen Kupfer= und Holzstichen, sowie Vignetten geschenkt. Diese Bände sind eine Art Verzeichnis von den Werken der Familie Godard, die im 18. und 19.Jh. in Alençon lebte.
Dann bekam die Bibliothek die Sammlungen des frűheren Generalgouverneurs in Kambodscha Adhémard Leclère geschenkt. Leclère wirft das Auge eines Ethnologen auf die damalige Khmer-Zivilisation (Ende des 19.Jhs.). Diese Spender haben auch die Sammlungen des Museums fűr Schöne Kűnste und Spitzen um viele Gegenstände, Zeichnungen und Stiche bereichert. Schlieβlich bot im Jahre 1993 die Witwe von Raymond Lhoste, einem internationalen Schiedsrichter, der Stadt Alençon 2500 Schriftstűcke und Bűcher űber das Schachspiel an.

Und das 21. Jahrhundert ?

Jetzt hat die Bibliothek beschlossen, den Bestand von Werken, die im 19.Jh. von dem Alençonner Auguste Poulet-Malassis, zugleich Herausgeber und Drucker, veröffentlicht wurden, zu ergänzen. So gehört seit kurzem die unzensierte Originalausgabe der Les Fleurs du mal von Baudelaire zu den wertvollsten Werken unserer Bibliothek. Die komplette Restaurierung der Jesuitenkirche, von der Stadt Alençon und vom Staat finanziert, in 2005 hat es ermöglicht, dieses empfindliche Erbgut besser zu schűtzen : eine der Bibliothek angepaβte Klimaanlage wurde installiert und das Licht gedämpft. Im Erdgeschoβ verfűgen die Forscher jetzt űber einen geräumigen Saal.
Mehrmals im Jahr werden Ausstellungen organisiert, die die Reichtűmer der Bibliothek zur Geltung bringen.

Rückkehr aufwärts der Seite

 Bibliographie.pdf

Historial español

La Biblioteca de Alençon

Un edificio del siglo 17, unos ricos ornamentos de madera del siglo 18, un fondo patrimonial excepcional.

El edificio y los ornamentos de madera

eglise espagnolEn 1679, Isabel de Orleans, duquesa de Alencon, coloca la primera piedra de la iglesia del colegio de los jesuitas de Alençon. La construcción durará más de 20 años pero el resultado será magnífico. La alta armadura de madera, de estilo imperial,confiere al tejado de pizarra una fina silueta,convexa y esbelta. La remata un campanil hexagonal a modo de observatorio.
Los libros cofiscados durante la revolución francesa se depositaron en este lugar de culto, secularizado desde que se fueran los jesuitas en 1762, para luego servir de biblioteca a la escuela central del departamento del Orne desde 1799.
El mismo año, el arquitecto Jean-Baptiste Delarue dispone el edificio separando la nave transversalmente. La planta baja sirve para las tareas públicas. Más adelante se convertirá en museo de esculturas. La parte alta cuya iluminación entra por anchos ventanales abiertos en el tejado está reservada a las clases de dibujo y más tarde a la biblioteca. Delarue adapta a este espacio las notables maderas de roble del siglo 18 y cuatro columnas de mármol procedentes de la cartuja del Val-Dieu (Perche). De factura purísima, los 24 armarios se completan con un rico decorado de madera de 18 tarjetas con la efigie de personages ilustres de la historia de Alençon. Este conjunto excepcional está protegido desde 1982 como patrimonio histórico. Desde el punto de vista de la administración, en 1803, un decreto del gobierno creó la biblioteca municipal de Alençon y confió
a la ciudad la preservación de sus colecciones. A principios de los años 80, después de mudarse el liceo Alain, se renovaron las dependencias que rodean el actual Patio Cuadrado del Encaje. Entonces se instala el museo de bellas artes y una biblioteca de préstamo de tres plantas a proximidad de la prestigiosa iglesia impropiamente denominada « capilla », magnífico estuche para un excepcional fondo patrimonial.

Las colecciones

Hoy día, la biblioteca conserva 717 manuscritos de los cuales 125 son de la Edad Media. Algunos incunables (libros impresos antes de 1500) y unos 40.000 libros antiguos (impresos entre 1500 y 1950), constituyen un patrimonio escrito único en Baja Normandía. Las confiscaciones revolucionarias empiezan nada más empezar 1792 en el distrito de Alençon, en el monasterio de la Visitación, en el convento de los capuchinos, en la
iglesia de Nuestra Señora, en el colegio de los jesuitas y en la cartuja del Val-Dieu. Con sólo juntar estas dos últimas bibliotecas se dispone ya en 1799 de un fondo inicial de casi 10.000 volúmenes. Tal conjunto crece con lo que el bibliotecario Luís Dubois comisionado por el ministerio del interior, coge en provecho de la escuela
central por todo el departamento : abadías de San Martín de Sées, de San Evroult de Ouche, Nuestra Señora de la Trapa, Nuestra Señora de Silly, San Vigor de Cerisy, convento de los dominicos de Argentan.

Los manuscritos e incunables

cpn11Parte de los munuscritos medievales, piezas excepcionales, procede de la abadía de San Evroult que posee desde su fundación en 1050, una biblioteca y un sscritorium para instruir a los religiosos y formar a los copistas. Siguiendo el espíritu manifestado por los primeros abades, Orderic Vital, (1075-1143), autor de una célebre Historia eclesiástica y copista él mismo, vela por el desarrollo de la actividad del scritorium cuya influencia se extiende por toda la comarca y hasta San Pedro de Chartres a finales del siglo XI. De los 205 manuscritos de San Evroult inventariados por Anselme Le Michel en 1628, 79 se conservan en nuestros fondos, entre los cuales
destacan un evangeliario bretón del siglo IX y 17 manuscritos fechados en el apogeo del scriptorium que se caracterizan por una « letra fina, títulos en mayúscula rústica realzada de color, iniciales historiadas y adornadas con coloridos vivos, rojo anaranjado, verde claro, azul franco ».
Otra parte de los manuscritos proviene de la abadía de San Martín de Sées y la coherencia que tienen entre sí autoriza a pensar que, como en San Evroult, también allí existía un scrptorium muy activo.
Los textos sagrados, los comentarios de los Padres de la Iglesia, los tratados y colecciones religiosos figuran en primer lugar. Cartas, libros de cuentas, inventarios, completan esta colección de especial relevancia en lo que toca de manera particular a las abadías y a la región normanda.
Dos ediciones raras enriquecen el fondo de incunables: la ciudad de Dios de san Agustín, impreso en Abbeville en 1486 por Jean Dupré y Pierre Gérard, y la Biblia de Nuremberg, impresa en dicha ciudad en 1493 por Cobuger. Cabe resaltar también el Missale Cenomanense de gran belleza impreso en Rouen por Guillaume le Talleur en 1489 así como el Huerto de salud y la recopilación de historiadores latinos titulado Lucan, Suétoine y Salustre en francés antiguo, ambos impresos en París por Antoine Vérard en 1500.

Libros de extraordinario valor

Del siglo XVI al XVIII, los fondos están esencialmente constituídos por obras de cultura y de erudición. Nos encontramos ante bellas ediciones de ilustres impresores del Renacimiento a menudo protegidas por bellas tapas estampadas: Los Estienne, Plantin, Junte o también impresos de provincia, como el Sumario y
entretenimiento de vida muy singular de cualquier medicina y cirujía (...), curiosa obra de Jehan Goevrot cuya primera edición salió de las imprentas de Simon Dubois en Alençon en 1530.
Los libros religiosos son numerosos y forman un conjunto de Biblias, comentarios, controversias, sermones, libros de piedad, que reflejan las preocupaciones teológicas de aquel entonces y nos dan un enfoque interesante sobre la vida religiosa de la época.
Eso no quita que la filosofía del siglo de las Luces, las ciencias y las artes estén presentes con los munumentos
de la edición francesa del siglo XVIII : Monumentos de la monarquía francesa de Don Bernard de Montfaucon
(1733), Diccionario razonado universal de historia natural de Valmont de Bomare (1776), Enciclopedia de Diderot y d'Alembert (1776), Enciclopedia metódica (1782-1792), etc. Por otra parte, la biblioteca del Val-Dieu, con sus 3500 volúmenes, estaba particularmente abierta a su siglo, prueba
de ello son los innumerables volúmenes de arte, de historia, de bellas letras y ciencias, que son testimonio patente de la excelencia de los padres cartujos en vísperas de la Revolución.

El siglo XIX

A lo largo del siglo XIX la biblioteca dobla sus colecciones gracias a las donaciones del Estado o de particulares, de los productos de la venta de libros desermanados y a la concesión de un presupuesto propio. El incremento se hace con títulos prestigiosos : Descripción de Egipto (1809-1828) que enumera las observaciones de los eruditos al acompañar a Napoleón por Egipto. Dicha colección se pone en el mueble construído en 1822 para disponer los volúmenes de textos y desplegar los tamaños fuera de norma de las láminas grabadas (en el fondo de la capilla). Cabe notar también : Relación del viaje en busca de la Perouse de Jacques-Julien Houtou de la Billardière (1799), vecino de Alençon, Biografía universal de Michaud (1811-1828), Gran diccionario universal del siglo XIX de Pierre Larousse (1866-1878) y los relatos de viajes pintorescos por Francia del Barón Taylor (1820-1878). Y una curiosidad editada en 1900 : La torre de 300 metros de Gustave Eiffel, ejemplar dedicado por el autor.

El siglo XX : legados, depósitos, donaciones

liesville espagnolA principios del siglo XX, la biblioteca se enriqueció con dos legados importantes.
El primero, con 4.000 libros y folletos es del conde de Liesville (1836-1885), fundador con Jules Cousin del
museo Carnavalet. Gabinete de curiosidades ante todo, tal colección muestra los gustos eclécticos
de este erudito en el ámbito de las ciencias (apicultura, piscicultura, viticultura...), de la historia, de las
artes (1500 catálogos de venta). Los diez folletos de la Danza macabra y de la Biblioteca azul de las imprentas de Troya (siglo XVIII) constituyen las obras más notables con las 450 cartas autógrafas de personalidades literarias y artísticas, los albúmenes de caricaturas del siglo XIX y las 7.000 páginas de manuscritos masónicos rarísimos.
Más adelante, la biblioteca se beneficia con legados de las colecciones del eminente León de La Sicotière (1812-1895), abogado y senador, autor del Departamento del Orne arqueológico y pintoresco (1845), quejuntó en
su vida 3.000 volúmenes sobre Normandía, así como manuscritos, periódicos y estudios sobre la época revolucionaria.
En 1905, la ley de separación de la Iglesia y del Estado obliga al seminario mayor de Sées a entregar a la ciudad de Alençon unos 3.000 volúmenes algunos de los cuales son manuscritos medievales de especial relevancia.
Cabe notar otras tres donaciones importantes más recientes : La primera es la obra de los Godard, grabadores de Alençon en los siglos XVIII y XIX, que constan de 19 colecciones de grabados en tablas de madera o planchas de cobre, viñetas que forman un catálogo del trabajo de los artistas ; luego las colecciones de Adhemard Leclère, residente general de Camboya a finales del siglo XIX que dan un enfoque de etnólogo sobre la civilización khmere de aquella época. Estos donadores también han enriquecido el museo de bellas artes con objetos, dibujosy grabados ; por fin, en 1993, la esposa de Raymond Loste ofreció a laciudad de Alençon 2.500 documentos relacionados con el ajedrez y juntados por su marido, árbitro internacional. Por su importancia y calidad tal colección es una de las más ilustres sobre el tema en Francia.

¿ Y el siglo XXI ?

En la actualidad se ha optado por completar el fondo de obras publicadas en el siglo XIX por los Malassis,
editores e impresores de primer orden, vecinos de Alençon. Así, la edición original antes de ser censurada de Les Fleurs du Mal de Baudelaire (1857 ), forma parte desde hace poco de los volúmenes más famosos de nuestras colecciones.
A lo largo del año se suceden exposiciones temáticas que ponen de manifiesto la riqueza excepcional de la
biblioteca de Alencon.

Vuelta hacia arriba de la página

Bibliographia.pdf